Cannabidiol, often called CBD, is a recent and widely known pain reliever for back pain. Studies indicate that this can help alleviate inflammation, often a factor in chronic back pain1.
There are many forms of CBD available; topical creams and gels have shown promising results for inflammation and neuropathy, which can make them a good option for back and neck pains.
CBD requires more research to prove and explain its effectiveness, and to better understand potential (especially long-term) side effects and potential drug interactions.
What Is CBD?
The CBD oil is extracted from a cannabis sativa plant. The plant has over 100 chemical compounds, called cannabinoids, which have a variety of effects including properties that are anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain relieving).
The cannabis sativa plant has two main varieties that are grown for specific purposes:
- THC content. THC is the compound associated with the “high” feeling of marijuana use.
- Uses that are industrial (non-drug) This plant form includes small amounts of THC (less than.03%) and can be used to produce paper, clothing and some building material. This cannabis plant variety is called hemp.
Although CBD is present in both varieties, the hemp plant makes up many of the CBD items available to consumers. The extreme or psychogenic effects of marijuana do not carry CBD.
Ways CBD Treats Back Pain
Research indicates that CBD may reduce back pain by:
- Reducing inflammation3
- Combating anxiety, often associated with long-lasting or chronic back pain4
- Helping with sleep and improving overall state of relaxation5
Some studies suggest that CBD can affect how a person perceives pain, but more robust research is required. CBD is generally considered a full-body treatment, meaning it does not specifically target back pain — except for topical products — but contributes to an overall feeling of relaxation and pain relief.
Potential Risks and Side Effects of CBD
Cannabidiol, even in high amounts, is generally safe. Side effects from CBD may include:
- Dry mouth
- Low blood pressure
More severe side effects, while rare, include:
- Mental confusion
As with other natural products, when taken with certain medicines, particularly those that come with grapefruit alerts, including some blood thinners, there is potential for adverse reactions. Such warnings say that such medicinal items containing grapefruit should not be taken with them.
CBD use prior to surgery
Every use of cannabis, including CBD and marijuana, should be disclosed to the surgeon or anesthesiologist before surgery. A new research indicates that the use of cannabis may have an effect on the medicines used to sedate patients.
There are several types of cannabidiol (CBD) products available which have the potential to relieve back pain. For the health and wellness industry CBD is fairly recent. Many products may make statements that are not backed by scientific evidence, or may not contain potent CBD levels.
CBD products are available in many types including edibles, oils, tinctures, and creams. These items are available in shops and retail, over-the-counter.
Considerations When Choosing CBD Products
Because of the abundance of types and companies that produce them, there are certain testing and labeling elements a person should look for when considering CBD products.
- Third-party testing. Look for products that have been tested by a company other than the one selling it. Third-party testers are concerned with the ingredients regardless of what the manufacturer says.
- The marking is simple and accurate. Manufacturers should make test results available on the label and online, and easy to understand.
- Testing ongoing. — product “batch” can differ in both quality and content. Reliable manufacturers check their goods on a regular basis and can consult on the labels and online test reports.
The CBD products are FDA-free. Therefore it is important to carefully read labels and address any questions with a health care provider.
Where Can I Get the Best CBD Creams for Pain Relief?
When it comes to purchasing quality CBD Pain Creams that are long-lasting and effective, you always want to make sure the products you are receiving come from a reputable source like Mary Jane’s CBD Dispensary. The main reason for picking products like ours is to ensure you only get the best quality CBD products and never receive any ineffective and/or potentially harmful products. With locations across several states to serve you, and our convenient online store, when you shop with Mary Jane’s you know you will only get the best CBD products on the market today.