CBD Oil for Dogs: What You Need to Know
When you talked about your pet’s health and wellness, there’s lots of information floating around online when it comes to CBD oil for dogs. You want what’s best for your pup, and that leads to the question: What do I need to know about CBD oil?
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in hemp and cannabis. Dr. Klein says it is important to note that CBD does not contain delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in most cases, the compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD products are actually derived from hemp and not marijuana.
How Does CBD Affect Dogs?
There’s actually no formal study of how dogs are affected by CBD. What scientists do know is that cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid receptors in the central and peripheral nervous systems, which help to maintain the body’s balance and keep it in normal healthy condition.
What Dog Health Problems Can CBD Oil Treat?
While there are no conclusive scientific data on the use of CBD to treat dogs, there is anecdotal evidence from dog owners indicating that it can relieve pain, especially neuropathic pain, as well as help control seizures.
CBD is also used because of its anti-inflammatory properties, cardiac benefits, anti-nausea effects, stimulation of appetite, anti-anxiety impact, and possible anti-cancer benefits, according to Dr. Klein, although there is no conclusive data on this use.
The AKC Canine Health Foundation (CHF) is funding a research that will examine the use of CBD in treatment-resistant epileptic dogs, through the Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. The CHF hopes this will be the first research to collect scientific information on CBD use in dogs with this disease.
Possible Side Effects of CBD in Dogs
While there is no scientific data for dogs regarding the side effects of CBD use, there are potential side effects based on how CBD affects humans. Make sure you follow the proper dosage to minimize any potential side effects.
- Dry mouth: Research has shown that CBD can decrease the production of saliva. For dogs, this would manifest as increased thirst.
- Lowered blood pressure: High doses of CBD have been known to cause the blood pressure to drop temporarily. Though the drop is small, it may create a brief sensation of light-headedness.
- Drowsiness: Dog owners have been using CBD to deal with anxiety. CBD’s calming effect can also cause mild drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
Risks of Using CBD Oil for Dogs
No research has yet been carried out into the safety and risks of using CBD for dogs. CBD has not been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration and has not released a dosing guide. So we don’t know which dose size would be harmful. Any medication or supplement carries the risk of a reaction. When giving your dog something new it is always advisable to start with small amounts and then monitor the effects closely. And check with your veterinarian beforehand.
CBD Products on the Market
If you and your veterinarian decide you should try CBD as your dog’s treatment, there are a few things to keep in mind when you buy CBD oil. Not all oils are the same; you’re going to want CBD oil of high quality to have better chances of it working.
- Look for organic. If the CBD oil is not organic, it at least should not contain pesticides, fungicides, or solvents.
- Don’t price shop. The higher the quality, and the greater the cost. You don’t want to go for a cheaper option which might have toxic substances like pesticides, herbicides or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is additive-free.
- Get the analysis. The supplier should provide a certificate which will tell you how much CBD is in the drug. Most CBD items only contain minor amounts of CBD. You’ll want to make sure the product contains little or no THC, too.
Buy CBD as a liquid. You can buy CBD-containing dog treats, but an oil or tincture is the best form to administer. You can adjust the dose drop by drop for your dog this way.
Where Can I Get Quality CBD Products for My Pet?
When it comes to purchasing quality CBD treats for your pet, you always want to make sure the products you are receiving come from a reputable source like Mary Jane’s CBD Dispensary. The main reason for picking products like this is to ensure quality and not receive any ineffective and/or potentially harmful products. With locations across several states to serve you, and our convenient online store, when you shop with Mary Jane’s you know you will only get the best CBD products on the market today.