The University of Memphis (UofM), in Memphis , Tennessee, is a public research institution. The university was established in 1912, and has an enrollment of over 22,000 students.
The university maintains the Herff College of Engineering, the Center for Research and Information on Earthquake (CERI), the Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, the former campus of the Lambuth University (now a branch campus of the University of Memphis), the Loewenberg College of Nursing, the School of Public Health, the College of Communication and Fine Arts, the FedEx Institute of Technology, the Advanced Memphis University is included in the “Graduate Universities- High Research Operation” group, as specified by the Carnegie Classification of Higher Education Institutions.
The campus of Memphis University is located about 5 miles (8.0 km) east of downtown, in the neighborhood of east Memphis University District. It has an area of 1,160 acres (4.7 km2), although the law school in the former U.S. federal custom house in downtown Memphis, which opened in January 2010, is not included. Campus’ historic center occupies about 30 acres (120,000 m2).
Over the past few years, campus architects have greatly increased the amount of green space and number of walkways, while retaining the campus’ original historic architecture.
Several residential neighbourhoods to the north and east, as well as the suburb of the University District and the industrial Highland Strip to the west surround the principal campus of the university. Many college students at Memphis University also live in housing located south of the main campus.
The campus of Memphis University is laid out in a rectilinear shape, designed as a geometric design similar to the University of Virginia’s Jeffersonian style.
Despite the progressive expansion of the campus to the west and south, the campus is relatively compact, retaining a tree-lined setting similar to a park. It takes about twenty-five minutes to walk the farthest distance on campus. The University of Memphis is expected to extend and rebuild additional areas one block west of the present Patterson St. western boundary of the main campus, making Highland Avenue the “de facto” gateway to the university, according to the most recent master plan.
Park Avenue Campus
The Park Avenue Campus, formerly known as the South Campus, sits immediately south of the main campus along the corner of Park Avenue and Getwell Lane. Formerly the Park Avenue Campus was Kennedy Veterans Hospital’s site from 1942 until 1967, when the U.S. The Government donated the University land and buildings. Very few Kennedy Hospital day buildings remain on campus.
The Park Avenue Campus is home to numerous intramural sports programs and facilities, as well as numerous research facilities, classrooms and the Community Health Building, which houses the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, the Memphis Speech and Hearing Center, and the Loewenberg College of Nursing. From 1982 to early 2010 the Defense Contract Audit Department previously operated its main training center on the Park Avenue Campus. Formerly WKNO also maintained its FM and TV stations on the Park Avenue Campus.
Future plans include an indoor football stadium and track complex, capable of hosting NCAA Division I track-and – field meetings on a wide scale.
The Units for Graduates and Family Housing are located at Park Avenue, 1 mile (1.6 km) from the main campus. There are 150 housing units inside the building. Residents are zoned to schools in the city of Memphis. The zoned schools are Colonial Middle School, Sherwood Primary School, and White Station High School.
This top school is located in beautiful Memphis, Tennessee, along with these other educational institutions you shouldn’t miss:
- Baptist College of Health Sciences
- Belhaven University
- Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law
- Christian Brothers University
- Harding School of Theology
- LeyMoyne – Owen College
- Memphis Theological Seminary
- Memphis College of Art
These amazing universities are located just down the street from our location at South Third Street across from The Southgate Shopping Center. Stop by for a visit anytime!