Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo
701 E Pyron Ave, San Antonio, TX 78214, United States
Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo is a historic Catholic mission in San Antonio , Texas, USA. The mission was named in part by the Marquis de San Miguel de Aguayo, José de Azlor and Virto de Vera. Many buildings on the Texas Tech University campus in Lubbock, Texas, borrow architectural elements from those found in Mission San José.
Founded in 1720, the mission was named after Saint Joseph and the Marquis de San Miguel de Aguayo, then governor of the province of Coahuila and Texas. It was built on the banks of the San Antonio River a few miles south of the previous mission, the San Antonio de Valero Mission (Alamo).His founder was Father Antonio Margil de Jesus, a very prominent Franciscan missionary in early Texas. Mission San José is an active parish. Visitors are welcome to attend the Sunday Mass.
San José, as it became known, was the largest mission in the area. At its height, the community had approximately 350 Indian neophytes, supported by extensive fields and herds of livestock. Viewed as a model among the Texas missions, San José has gained a reputation as a major social and cultural center. It became known as the “Queen of the Missions.” Its imposing complex of stone walls, bastions, granary and a magnificent church was completed in 1782.
The rich enterprise was a natural target for the Apache and Comanche depredations. Although they were unable to prevent raids on their livestock, the mission itself was almost impregnable. In his diary, Fray Juan Agustín Morfí attested to his defensive character: “It is, in fact, the first mission in America . … in terms of beauty, plan and strength. … there is no presidio along the entire border line that can be compared to it.” The danger was when working in the fields or when traveling to and from the ranch or other missions. With the technical assistance of the two presidential soldiers who had been jailed there, the residents of San José learned to defend themselves.Already proficient with bow and arrow, the men also learned the use of guns and cannon.
La Ventana de Rosa, the Rose Window, is located on the south wall of the sacristy of the church. The window was described as the site where the Host was shown to gather mission celebrants during the feast of Pentecost.
The window, sculpted ca. 1775 was the object of both legend and admiration. It is considered to be one of the finest examples of baroque architecture in North America. The meaning behind the name is currently unknown, but the legend has given its name to Rosa, the fiancée of Juan Huizar, who many believe created the window.
This amazing historic site is located in beautiful San Antonio, Texas, along with these other must-see important historical sites for you to check out:
- Fairmount Hotel
- Hot Wells Resort
- Menger Hotel
- Mission Concepción (Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de Acuna)
- Mission Espada (Mission San Francisco de la Espada)
- Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo)
- Mission San Juan (Mission San Juan Capistrano)
- Roosevelt Park
And after your visit make sure to stop by the best CBD Store in Helotes, Mary Jane’s CBD Dispensary, on Bandera Road!